1/15/2011

Adventure - An undertaking of a questionable nature

So I'm sick and don't want to go back to sleep. I also don't want to leave my warm bed. Time to start the manic checking of all my Internet haunts.
No one gets on Facebook on Saturdays.
No good fanfiction is around.
I've watched all of Dr. Who.
Let's see what's on Twitter.
Oooo! An article of 10 Wikipedia entries for their 10 year anniversary. That'll do.
Fan Death.
Dance Plague.
List of unusual deaths?
This leads me to what will inevitably be a three hour session of what I like to call choose your own adventure wikipedia.

I could go into detail, but you probably already get it. Read article, click related links or links to things you don't know about. Know more. In the past I've wasted entire days doing this. Once I went from Disney Golden Age to Beauty and the Beast to Stockholm syndrome to Patty Hearst and Lima syndrome. It's incredibly addictive and a great time waster.

For example:
I start off with a List of unusual deaths page.
The first one states that Draco, Athenian law-maker, was smothered to death by gifts of cloaks showered upon him by appreciative citizens at a theatre on Aegina. Holy crap.
I then scroll down to read that when Kind Herod died he had foot drop. What the hell is foot drop? Thinking it may have to do with limbs randomly falling off I learn it is more akin to sciatic nerve pain which I am woefully aware of.
Continuing on I read Sigurd the Mighty of Orkney strapped the head of his defeated foe, Máel Brigte, to his horse's saddle. The teeth of this head grazed against his leg as he rode, causing an infection that killed him.
What the what!?

This will undoubtedly go on for hours and I will end up reading up on some random topic like Codex Seraphinianus. Which, if you've never heard of it, you should read up on.

No comments:

Post a Comment